Temporary Road Restrictions during the Olympic Torch Relay Visit to Aberdeen
As the Olympic Torch Relay makes it way around the UK it will reach Aberdeen on Monday 11 June. To ensure that the Olympic Flame travels through the city safely the following temporary traffic measures will be in place:
The following temporary road closures will be in place from 3pm on Monday 11 June to 2am on Tuesday 12 June:
1. King Street from its junction with East and West North Street to Castle Street;
2. Castle Street [full length];
3. Justice Street [full length] but access for residents and businesses;
4. Castlegate [full length];
5. Marischal Street [from its junction with Castlegate to Marischal Street Bridge]. Access will be maintained from Trinity Quay to the point of closure only for residents/businesses and Blue Badge holders;
6. Shiprow/Exchequer Row from the NCP car park to Castle Street.
From 5pm on Monday 11 June to 2am on Tuesday 12 June the following road closures will be in place:
1. Market Street from its junction with Union Street to its junction with Hadden Street;
2. Union Street from its junction with Market Street and St Nicholas Street to a point 5 metres east of its junction with Bridge Street and Union Terrace;
3. Back Wynd from its junction with Union Street to its junction with Little Belmont Street.
From 6pm until 8pm on Monday 11 June a series of rolling closures will be in place:
1. A93 North Deeside Road between the city boundary at Peterculter and St John’s Terrace, Aberdeen;
2. St John’sTerrace between its junction with North Deeside Road and Great Western Road;
3. Great Western Road between its junctions with St John’s Terrace and Holburn Street.
From 7pm on Monday 11 June until 9pm on Monday 11 June the following rolling closure will be in place:
1. Union Street from its junction with Holburn Junction and with Bridge Street and Union Terrace.
From 1am on Tuesday 12 June until 8am on Tuesday 12 June the unnamed road between Stoneywood Road and Wellheads Road will be closed.
From 7.15am on Tuesday 12 June until 9.15am on Tuesday 12 June a series of rolling closures will be in place:
1. Stoneywood Road from its junctions with Riverview Drive to its junction with the A96;
2. A96 Auchmill Road [eastbound lanes] from its roundabout junction with Stoneywood Road to the Haudagain roundabout at about 7.20am;
3. The Haudagain roundabout [all legs] at about 7.25am;
4. North Anderson Drive / Anderson Drive / South Anderson Drive [southbound lanes] from its junction with the Haudagain roundabout to its junction with Bridge of Dee from about 7.25am to around 8.25am;
5. A90 from the Bridge of Dee to the Aberdeen / Aberdeenshire boundary from around 8.30am.
The above times are subject to change as the Olympic Flame makes its way through Aberdeen although every effort will be made to adhere to the Olympic Torch Relay timetable.
From 8am on Thursday 07 June until 5pm on Tuesday 12 June St the full length of St Catherine’s Wynd [street between former Esslemont & MacIntosh buildings] will be closed to allow the council’s road services welfare portacabin to be sited.
From 3pm on 11 June until 2am on Tuesday 12 June the existing prohibition of right turns from King Street into West North Street will be suspended.
From 3pm on 11 June until 2am on 12 June the existing prohibition of right turns from Union Street into Bridge Street will be suspended.
From 3pm on 11 June until 2am on 12 June the existing prohibition of right turns from Holburn Street into Willowbank Road will be suspended.
From 5pm on 11 June to 2am on 12 June left turns from Hadden Street on to Market Street will be prohibited.
From 4pm on 09 June to 11am on 12 June parking will be prohibited on Albyn Place [North side] between Prince Arthur Street and Rubislaw Place.
From 6am on 11 June to 6am on 12 June parking will be prohibited on either side of Marischal Street from the Marischal Street Bridge to its junction with Castle Street.
From 6am on 11 June to 6am 12 June parking will be prohibited on the northside of the full length of Queen Street.
From 6am on 11 June until 6am on 12 June parking will be prohibited on:
1. Broad Street from Upperkirkgate to Union Street [access only for residents/business and Grampian Police HQ];
2. Netherkirkgate from a point 5 metres east of Flourmill Lane;
3. Union Street from its junction with Broad Street to its junction with Market Street and St Nicholas Street.
Mike Cheyne, Operations Manager at Aberdeen City Council said: “It is expected that the Olympic Torch Relay will have a considerable impact for road users while it is in the city on Monday 11 and Tuesday 12 June. We would encourage road users to start thinking now about planning their journeys over the two days. Drivers should leave plenty of time for their journeys and consider alternative routes. The evening celebration at the Castlegate will mean that a number of bus routes will be diverted so bus users are urged to plan their journey in advance.”
Aberdeen City Council’s City Events Manager Dawn Schultz added: “The Olympic Torch Relay in Aberdeen will be a once in a lifetime opportunity for those taking part and for the spectators that line the route to see this unique event visit our city. With the information provided today we hope road users will be able to plan their journeys ahead of time so that any disruption is minimised.”
For up-to-date information on the Olympic Torch Relay in Grampian please visit www.readygrampian.org